Today I joined a Parent Educator in
a group session at a domestic abuse shelter, first let me just say I wish I
would have ripped a hole in my dress, rubbed dirt on my knees or at least
messed my hair up before going into the building. If I were these families and
I saw some girl in red lipstick and a dainty flowery dress on attempting to
approach me I would have immediately felt like making fun of her, or at least
put a wall up in assumption that this girl can’t relate to what I’m going
through, I guess I know for next time, right?
Though on another note I really needed to experience what I did today,
growing up in a small Northern Michigan town I
can’t say I have been introduced to any element of a shelter beyond what I’ve
seen on TV or read about in college textbooks. I won’t lie I was completely
taken back once entering the shelter, babies were crawling everywhere, kids
were running havoc and these mothers that I swear seemed so youthful and
similar to my age we’re distraught, close hearted, thick skinned, close minded
and I’ll say less than enthusiastic about joining our group session, though
reluctantly they did.
I wish I
could explain what was going on in my head as I was observing these mothers
listen, interact and parent all in an environment that I couldn’t imagine
having to call my temporary home. On one hand I was counting how blessed I am,
I became humbled like never before and was thinking about everything in my
closet and home that I haven’t touched in months and that I could give to these
people. On the other hand I was thinking of how these people got here, what
happened in their lives to land them here? And then one of the women said she
believed she was here because God was trying to make her stronger for her kids,
I swear if I could have started crying right then I might have. She is a mother
of six with one more on the way, all of her children are under the age of
seven, she’s temporarily living in a homeless shelter, a small cubical for her
entire family, she asked all the right questions, how to be better, how to bond
better, how to parent better. I felt myself just wanting to hug her and her
baby; I just wanted her to know that it will get better, that it has to get
better.
This
experience just helped me verify that I am in the right place right now, being
able to see these things, experience these things, be a part of these things,
they’re changing my life. They are molding me and I couldn’t ask for anything
better to help mold me. I called my mom after leaving the shelter and asked if
I could adopt a baby or two, she said one for sure, and though we were both
kidding, I felt something take me over, I felt inspired. It was nice to feel
inspired, I’ve missed a little inspiration in my life and can’t wait to go back
to the shelter and hopefully feel more comfortable to really open up and talk
to these individuals.
Very interesting story. Glad to see you experienced something that made you look at things differently.
ReplyDeleteWow! Great story! Thanks for sharing! Its always good to have experiences like this to help us not take things for granted and realize how lucky we are!
ReplyDelete